Thursday, April 7, 2011

Show and tell

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."  2 Corinthians 4:18

The work we're doing in Haiti is visible.  There's a team building bunk beds at the Transition Program, there's a team renovating the old guest house in preparation for moving the girls' home, there's a team of medical professionals running a clinic and make-shift dentist's office.  And of course, there's the team that's working at the school in various capacities.  Today we prepared cum files, worked on a list of school goals, attempted translation to French (thanks Google), and communicated with the MdL School Advisory Board.

My role on this trip is much different than last summer where days were long and there was never enough time to get everything done.  Transfering one day's to-do list to the next was normal.  When I'm at home there is pressure to check everything off and have something to show for the day's work.

In Haiti, there seems to be more time for what Pastor John calls show and tell:  show God's love and tell others about it.  Today I listened to Lukenson sing a worship song, I watched Daphne play the bongo drums, I hugged Yvenal when he fell off his skateboard.  And while I have photographs of those memories, there's so much more to it.  There was no to-do list today and it worked. 

I need to spend less time thinking about (what I think) needs to be done and more time on the unseen.  Because at the end of the day, it won't matter if I have 25 unread emails and a pile of laundry to be sorted.  What will be important is how I practiced my show and tell skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment